To give you a brief history...we went to the Fair last year and I was SO DISAPPOINTED in this annual community event that I decided to join the Fair Board and help to make changes to the Fair so that the next year wouldn't be as embarrassing as the first year we went. Well...for the past few months I regretted "raising my right arm" and volunteering. My volunteer experience was OVERWHELMING...they are seriously missing helping-hands and there are too many "stable horses" that are stuck in their own ways of this is how we always do it. I came on board to try to change the Fair for the better and it's been a uphill battle ever since I joined! I often times wanted to quit completely, but couldn't do it because there was only one other person who was dedicated to the annual Fair and Rodeo, and I couldn't leave her to do it alone...so, I grudgingly stayed on.
I've been in charge of all the advertising for the Fair. I did posters, websites, coupons, email campaigns, table tents, press releases, newspaper ads, rodeo programs...the list goes on. The last week or two has been overwhelming for me and I've stayed up till at least midnight every night to attempt to complete the NUMEROUS things that needed to get done before this weekend. I was bitter and disgruntled, to say the least.
Well, the weekend finally arrived. All of my hard work would be shown by how many people we could get out to the Fair. Prior to the weekend we had received more sponsorship donations than the Fair had ever received in the past...I like to think that my letters and emails had something to do with that. But, would people actually come out to the event??
Let me just say that I am so proud of the team that I was working with to help make this event happen. There were at least 200 people out at the Fair this year, and we still have tomorrow as well; compared to the 50-100 or so that showed up last year. There were kids all over having a great time, and last year there was NOTHING for the kids to do.
It was also very fulfilling to see Emily having such a BALL, and know that I helped to make this event possible for her! She LOVED the horse-ies!!
She got a blow up horse-ie that she just wouldn't let go...she loves it!
She danced to the folk music performers. She pet all the animals at the petting zoo.
She went on a hay ride. She attempted to ride a real horse, but I think she was a bit overwhelmed by the MASSIVE SIZE of a REAL HORSE...all the normal horses she sees are in books, but never up close. So, we attempted to get her to ride, but she just wouldn't do it.
And, she loved seeing all the horse-ies in the Rodeo!!
It was definitely the best event we have had on the Island since we've been here and I am SO PROUD to have been able to be a part of it. Sadly, I don't think I'll get the opportunity to get involved in next year's Fair & Rodeo...only because it took A LOT of my time away from my family, and in all honesty, I complained a lot about the obligation I volunteered for...so, I don't think I'll get to do it again. But, I am glad I was able to be a part of this year's event!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On another note...we entered a few items in the Exhibits in the Fair. We entered Chris' uniform he made for Emily and a peanut butter pie that Lisa made, which is just AWESOME!
Lisa's pie WON FIRST PLACE in the pie contest!! Chris' uniform he made Emily got SECOND PLACE in the sewing contest!! And a few random pictures of ours won THIRD PLACE in the photo contest!!

1 comment:
Way to go Tracy!
Post a Comment