So, something is bothering me today. I've been on the air at the radio station for about 6 weeks now and I have developed somewhat of a "fab-base" -- now, I'm not tooting my own horn here...it's just kind of true. People recognize my voice and "think they know me from somewhere" or tell me that they listen to the show every morning.
Anyway...I don't get too many phone calls in the morning from the listeners. Actually, I don't really get any phone calls from listeners and often wonder if there is anyone out there actually listening. There are about 3 people that call every now-and-again, but I do have 1 listener that calls, religiously, every morning when he gets up between 8:30am and 9:00am.
I don't know anything about him, just his name. He calls to request a song every morning and sometimes we chat for a few minutes about whatever is on his mind. (I'm just actually glad to see the phone ring!) Well, I hadn't heard from him at all this week and was kind of getting worried. Since I know nothing about him, I just figured that maybe he was a fisherman and he was out on a boat fishing.
Well, after 4 days of no calls, he finally called me today. We talked for about 15 minutes where he told me that he has been in a fight with a good friend this week and is so upset about it that he's, for the most part, been drunk all week. He continued to tell me that he is so upset about it that he was planning to jump off a cliff and end his life. - What do you say to that!? - I mean, if it were a close friend I could know whether or not they were serious, but this guy...I don't know him! I know nothing about him! From my impression of him and my "stereotypical analysis" -- I wouldn't put it past him! I hope he calls again on Monday.
It just made me realize that I have a new responsibility. I have a responsibility to the listeners. These people wake up to my voice every morning. They hear my stories, enjoy the music I play for them; they laugh at my jokes and pay attention to the activities I tell them are happening around town. There are a lot of people on this island who know me, but I do not know them. They think we're buddies because I'm in their life.
As this young man called me, his "friend," to share his troubles, I realized what an eye-opener it is to think that I have an affect on people whom I've never met, nor even know are out there. Yet, being in my situation...what do you do? I know I should care because that's human instant, but where do you separate yourself? And, how do you separate yourself?
2 comments:
Well, it's Monday and this guy didn't call today. I am kind of worried, but I'm sure everything is ok. Hopefully he'll call again tomorrow.
You cannot take someone else's life into your responsibility...
Your responsibility is to be there for the listeners, not to enter into their realm of trials and tribulations...does that make sense?
Be there for this person, let him know you care and then move on....
As the new 'celebrity' in town, you will probably get more of this kind of situation (different story, same bottom line) and that just goes with the territory...
But you cannot take on (I am not saying you cannot feel) someone's elses baggage...
You are soooo great to care!
Post a Comment