Thursday, February 26, 2009

Caribou Roast


Well, we did it! We survived our first Caribou Roast Dinner!!
`
Before Chris left for Astoria, Oregon he butchered the caribou he hunted in St. Paul and made: roasts, steaks, and summer sausage.
`
In honor of his return back to Kodiak, I defrosted our first attempt at a caribou roast. I found a recipe online for a Caribou Roast and it was soaked in vinegar and other spices for 24 hours before we cooked it. I think this may have helped with the "gamey-ness" of the roast.
`
The meat was tender and tasted wonderful! I think our next roast will be made into a stew with veggies.
`
We also made summer sausage. Chris ground the caribou meat and mixed it with ground pork and spices to help with the flavoring. We were able to purchase a Summer Sausage Kit at our local Wal-Mart and it gave us everything we needed to make our very own summer sausage! This was also delicious!! Be forewarned that there may be a summer sausage sample showing up in the mail for you! Don't be scared - you can taste something that many Californians don't normally get a chance to try!

No comments: