With all the "talk" of long lines at the polls, I was worried about waiting too long to vote...as you know, I can be a little impatient at times. But, when I pulled up there were only 6 cars out front along with the two fire engines. I wasn't quite sure where to enter, so I followed the small signs (one in English and one in Tagalog) into the station's garage where they were set up with voting booths and tables. There were about 5 people working the polls and only two other people inside voting - needless to say, but there were no lines.
I walked up to the table and gave them my name. I half expected it not to be there; I mean, after all, I just moved here from California. But, there it was. I signed their paper and they handed me my ballot in an envelope. It was an 8.5" x 11" envelope.
Once in the booth I opened up the envelope and looked a little perplexed. It was just a scantron that you bubble in with a black pen!! All this talk about "voting machines" and "stamps" and "ink spots" and such...here, it's as simple as a scantron. There is no "voter pamphlet" with a brief summary of the candidates and ballot measures as you'd expect to see in California. You need to know who you're voting for when you get to the polls. I mean, because we're in such a small state, there is a good likelihood that you've met the candidates or know them on a personal basis...so, how can you go to the polls undecided?
Well, I bubbled in my simple scantron and put it back in the folder, so no one could see my answers and cheat off me (as if we were in grade school) and then walked it over to the "box," which sucked up my ballot...and that was that.
And, although the winner will be announced before the Alaskan polls close, and my vote has had a chance to be counted, I feel so privileged to be given the opportunity to vote in the gracious state of Alaska. Back in California I felt like it was my right, my duty and something I took for granted...here I feel very fortunate and excited to participate in such a momentous event.
No comments:
Post a Comment