Sunday, November 9, 2008

Earthquake in Kodiak

So, if you haven't heard yet...we experienced our first earthquake Saturday morning. The earth started shaking at 5:55am and woke everyone up. I think, immediately, we knew exactly what was happening. It just started shaking...like most of you Californians have experienced many times. It's this rumble and roar coming from the depths of the earth.

Well, we both sprang out of bed...me, a little more urgently then Chris. I shouted (for lack of a better word) at Chris to "go get the baby!" because I knew that he was quicker then I was and that she'd be safe with him if the rumbling got worse. We could hear her fussing through the monitor...it had woken her up too. I was seconds behind Chris into the baby's room, but by the time we had gotten to her crib-side, the shaking had stopped.

We contemplated whether or not to go back to bed...now that I'm a "mommy" I find myself a bit more nervous and precautious then I used to be. Now, being on an island...my new concern was "The TSUNAMI"!!!

We gave the baby a small bottle of warm milk and put her back to bed...she fell asleep instantly. But, I had trouble going back to sleep. I was laying there wondering when the sirens were going to go off with the warning. We don't know where the 'higher ground' is located? Or how to get there? What will we take with us? We'll need more than just 'photos' and 'keepsakes' like they tell you to do in California...we need to be prepared for the weather - the frigid weather!! And the bears!!! And any other wild animals that might be learking in the dark...after all, we only get 8 hours of daylight right now! -- As all these thoughts went rushing through my head, I had trouble sleeping.

When we finally got up we looked online and found out that our "shaker" was only a 2.7...but, was centered 6 miles from our house; which would make sense as to why it felt so strong. It's different having children and experiencing, what could technically be, a natural disaster. I think our next shaker we'll try to be more prepared...we'll know the route, we'll have the supplies we need, we'll be ready...next time.

No comments: