Wednesday, February 27, 2008

HE PASSED!!! ...and the journey continues!

It was about 8:30 this morning when I got the call (11:30am EST). Chris' Phase Out Multi Test was this morning and today's test would determine whether or not Chris would be able to continue thru the Program. I answered the phone and just said "Just give it to me straight..." and then, all I could hear was screaming & cheering. All I could say excitingly was "Does that mean you passed!?" He didn't have much time to talk, but said "YES! I PASSED!!! The entire class passed!!!" I couldn't believe it!! He is just so happy!

I talked with him a few hours later and he gave me the low-down on all the details of the test. He was the 2nd to last guy to go and had to wait in the locker room showers as one-at-a-time each Airman was called into the pool to take the test.

Chris waited anxiously until his name was called...by this time 5 people have gone before him.He came onto the "scene" and saw a "crash site" with three victims - one man hanging onto a raft, one guy just floating in the water without a flotation, and a pilot all tangled in a parachute. He followed all of the proper procedures and started getting the people out of the water. About half way through the test, and as he was getting the people out of the water, all of a sudden one of the guys turned on him and begun to drag Chris under the water. The man's arm was tight around Chris' throat, he tore the mask off Chris' face and started to drown Chris. Chris quickly regained control of the situation and that was that.

Within about 20 minutes the test was over...Chris wasn't sure if he passed or failed. He was excused and left the pool area. - The last airman, who was still waiting in the locker room shower area, finally walked into the pool area for his test.

After the last guy took the test all of the Airmen were called back into the pool building and told to line up in formation along the edge of the pool. As they stood there they didn't know whether or not that had passed or failed; they anxiously awaited the words of their instructor. Without a definite yes or no the instructor started with "I am thoroughly impressed with you guys today!" --- and then, with just those words, they knew the good news! He continued "I'm so proud of you guys, and for that reason all of you get a 'GO' today!" Still in formation the class yelled out a happy "HOO RA CHIEF (um, I forgot his name)"

Everyone was so excited and the class went out tonight to celebrate. I believe they'll be going out over the weekend to celebrate even more!!!

----------------

So, what's next...?? Well, during the next 8 weeks Chris will learn how to sew. He'll be able to stitch parachutes, rafts, follow a pattern, make things, etc. The class will also maintain a weekly exercise routine, but it is no where near the intensity of the last 8 weeks. Oh, and there will be no more tests based on results in the pool...well, there is an exit exam on the last day which will consist of a test in the pool...but, word on the street is that it is pretty easy.

Oh, and within the next 4-5 weeks we should know where we will be stationed...yikes!

No comments: