Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sleepless Nights

I believe it all started on Monday. I don't know what happened or what changed, but Emily started sleeping in bed with us every night. Chris was on duty that night, after just getting back the Friday before from being away for 2 weeks. I honestly think that Emily felt "safe" with Chris home, and because he was gone again on Monday, I think she may have felt that daddy was missing.

I took her to sleep with me that night. I had a long day at work and I was exhausted. I let her cry in her room for about 30 minutes, and her crying wasn't dying down. I didn't want to stay up all night with her, so I made it "easy" for myself and brought her to sleep with me. She, of course, passed out within minutes and didn't make a peep for the rest of the night.

Chris picked her up from school on Tuesday, and that night she again refused to go to bed in her crib. After about an hour of crying we finally gave in and we all went to bed together.

It's been the same every night this week - we let her cry for at least an hour and by the time we're ready to go to sleep, she's still crying. Neither one of us want to stay up all night fighting this fight, so we give in. It's been a whole week now and I'm worried that this may become the way things are. I didn't get any sleep last night because Emily kept moving and hitting me...and then Bryndall was sleeping on my feet...It was horrible!

How do we reverse this?

How long do we let her cry?

1 comment:

Aunt Carol said...

Well, if you don't get her back in her bed soon, you might as well get used to her sleeping with you until she's in college. LOL, well maybe not that long. Maybe you could get Chloe or Bryndall to sleep with her in her room and make a game of it. One thing is for sure, the longer you wait, the harder it will be to break her of it. I know it's hard to listen to them cry, but THEY KNOW THAT TOO. That's why they do it. I remember Diney always used to tell me to turn on the vacuum. Don't know if that will help or not, but at least you don't hear them. Good luck!!!