Monday, August 18, 2008

The Newest Voice in Kodiak

Most of you already know, but I was offered a new job as the Morning Talk Show Host for Kodiak's local radio Station, KVOK!! Crazy? I know!

When we first found out that we were moving to Kodiak I started looking for a job online, as something I could do to get out of the house everyday. (People go crazy here if you're locked up inside for too long) So, I wanted something that would be fun and stressless. At the Alaskan Online Job Board there were only about 20 positions open, all of which had something to do with the fishing industry...except for one...The Morning Talk Show Host. So, I applied. (I never thought they'd actually call)

Now, this was a few months ago and they told me they were looking for "the right person...not just someone to do the job" and not in a big hurry to fill the position, but if they found that person then they would just hire them. Anyway, being 2 months out, I totally thoguht that the position would be taken by the time I got to the island. The lady in change of the station just said to send her an email when we get into town, and we'll see how it goes.

So, a few days after we got into Kodiak (still living in a hotel) I sent her an email to let her know we arrived. She said that the position had still not been filled and that she'd like me to come in. So, I got a babysitter for Emily. I went to my interview in a sweater, jeans, and some cheap black loafers I bought at WalMart...all of my clothes were in storage! I totally apologized for my casual appearance and explained how my clothes weren't coming until the following week. My casual outfit kind of made a nice ice-breaker to the interview.

Anyway, the interview went really well. While I was there I recoreded a test track of the weather and a commercial just so they could hear my voice, and they asked me to come back the following morning to just get a walk-thru of the production room. So, bright-and-early the next morning I went in again for about an hour, and everything went well, and they informally offered me the position. They are working on the formal offer and will get that to me...um, probably this week.

So, the bad news is that the pay isn't the greatest. But, I'm really looking at this as more of a reason to get out of the house (without baby), so the pay isn't too important - I can also continue my website stuff from home. We were able to get Emily in a home daycare with another Mil-Wife here. I'll probably be going into the station a few times over the next couple weeks, but I won't actually start until Sept 2nd.

So, there you have it!! woop! woop!

No comments: